Video: Enabling Teams to Embrace Change…
November 11th, 2020
Video: Enabling Teams to Embrace Change - Gitte Klitgaard
- do whatever
-> within a frame
-> leader set's the frame
"I don't care what you do, as long as you learn from it"
fear: I can't tell autonomous people what to do
-> set the frame, set the boundaries
each island people can talk and move around
- no test first
- squad focus should be tribe focus
almost everyone voted on psychological safety
[ ] Google has a survey/test
we changed it up a bit
- split questions into "most comfortable + least comfortable"
a lot of workshops
- sometimes more comfortable to speak to someone you don't know very well
- small groups, max 8
psychological safety != comfortable
feeling safe enough in uncomfortable situations
[cf popcorn flow]
eg. "my biggest fuckup of the week"
eg. "take a round"
- 2 minutes of thinking in silence
- a round of people sharing opinions
some 'think on your feet', some 'think in their head'
exercise: "What's not to like about this code?"
Leadership had to go everything twice:
- once in the team they lead
- once in the leadership team
Q: "What do you do to make other people unsafe?"
> I ask for deadlines
-> people hear: "I want this done ASAP"
-> I mean: "I want you to consider if you have time for this"
> bad role-models, nagging each other
diversity: gender, nationality, age, ...